Saturday, February 12, 2005

"don't waste your life"

Here's a quote I just read from the book by John Piper that I just picked up:

Somehow there had been wakened in me a passion for the essence and the main point of life. The ethical question "whether something is permissible" faded in relation to the question, "what is the main thing, the essential thing?" The thought of building a life around minimal morality or minimal significance--a life defined by the question, "What is permissible?"--felt almost disgusting to me. I didn't want a minimal life. I didn't want to live on the outskirts of reality. I wanted to understand the main thing about life and pursue it.

1 comment:

Karl said...

Thanks Tim! It took me a little bit to figure out which Tim you were and if I knew you or not. I still need to finish reading that book, but if I get nothing else out of that book, that quote was worth it. Especially since I got the book on a free handout :)