Tuesday, August 02, 2005

knowing God

Lately, I've been dwelling on the verse in 1 Chronicles 28 "Get to know the God of your ancestors." I've tried reading and praying through a lot of Psalms to become more familiar with God's character. However the last couple days God's been teaching me about how I must relate to him in order to know him.

Today I read in Matthew 10:38 where it says "If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it." Scripture records those same words (or with a slight variation) 6 times in the Gospels and I found that Jesus actually spoke those words on 4 separate incidences.

It struck me that in order to know God better, in order to "find life," you have to be willing to do what Jesus says in this passage and give up your whole life for God. God doesn't continue to reveal more about himself to those who are double-minded about Him. Nothing new or earth-shattering, but it was just another piece of the puzzle for me in what it means to "know God"

No comments: